If you’re hoping for a stress-free wedding (who isn’t?!), you’ll need a well-stocked emergency kit by your side…and a few hacks up your sleeve! Here are 10 brilliant wedding hacks that will help you get down the aisle in one piece.
1. Planning to tie the knot in a park or on the beach? Stock up on veil weights NOW. If you’re having an outdoor wedding (or at least planning to take some photos outside), attach little weights to your veil to keep it from blowing around in the wind.
2. Use our handy hotel block tool to make booking hotel rooms for your guests a cinch. If you’re trying to find the best group accommodations, we’ve made it way easier to book hotel rooms for your guests. It’s fast and completely free!
3. Get a 2-3 tier cake for display/cutting and then serve guests from a sheet cake that’s hidden in the kitchen. This will allow you to have a beautiful cake without going way over budget.
4. Set up a separate email address to use for all wedding correspondence. Being organized is the key to any successful wedding. Bonus: you and your partner can use it for shared bills after you’re married. It’s a win-win, really.
5. Ask the post office to “hand cancel” your invitations. This means that instead of running your invites through a machine, they’ll use a special ink stamp to mark your invitation and then sort it by hand. That reduces the risk of damaging those pretty envelopes you painstakingly picked out.
6. Number the back of all your RSVP cards. Put a tiny number on the back of each card and then number your guest list accordingly. If guests don’t write their name on the cards (or their writing is illegible), you’ll still be able to figure out whose it is!
7. Have your bra sewn into your dress. You’ll have a lot to think about on your wedding day, so make sure your strapless bra isn’t one of them. If you have your seamstress sew your bra of choice into your gown, you won’t have to worry about your it peeking out at inopportune moments.
8. If you spill red wine on your dress, dump a pile of table salt on the stain right away. The salt will help draw out a good amount of the wine right away, and you can have the remaining stain professionally treated later.
9. If you want to wear stilettos for your outdoor wedding, slip on heel protectors. Walking down the aisle without tripping is hard enough, so make your life easier with these little guys. They increase the surface of the base of the heel, so you won’t sink into the grass.
10. Freeze the top tier of your cake uncovered for about 20 minutes before wrapping it in foil. If you’re planning on eating your cake on your first anniversary, make sure you can actually enjoy it! This trick will prevent any icing from sticking to the foil when you wrap it and stick it in the freezer.
-By Rachel W. Miller