The Hottest Honeymoon Destinations
It’s time to plan your honeymoon! After the wedding whirlwind dies down, you’re going to want a romantic post-nuptial trip that’s anything but ordinary. So skip the site vacation you’ve been on and whether you’re looking an island getaway or a historical adventure, our picks for the top 10 hot honeymoon spots will definitely kick your wanderlust into high gear.
1. Marrakesh, Morocco: Visit this intoxicating city (hey there, fragrant spices and vibrant colors!) and relish in a beautiful blend of African and Middle Eastern cultures. If you and your partner are up for an adventure, check out the many bazaars, markets (be ready to haggle!), and the medina, which is the old part of the city that’s still surrounded by 12th-century walls.
2. Ambergris Caye, Belize: For those who want an exotic twist on the typical island getaway, this is the destination for you. It’s Belize’s largest isle and has about 25 miles of coastline to explore. Go snorkeling or diving and explore the Great Blue Hole or the Belize Barrier Reef (the second largest barrier reef in the world). Or take in nature by land and visit the bird and baboon sanctuaries or hike one of the area’s many gorgeous National Parks.
3. Istanbul, Turkey: Take a grand adventure and visit the wondrous palaces, mosques (the Blue Mosque is İstanbul’s “most photogenic” building), and all the stunning art that Istanbul has to offer. Go shopping in the Grand Bazaar located in the heart of the Old City, find rare spices in the Spice Bazaar, visit the Turkish baths or check out the Bosphorus Strait for a trip you’ll never forget. And Istanbul is considered by many to be one of the top cities to visit in your lifetime, so why wait?
4. The Maldives: Located in the Indian Ocean, this is a getaway for those who want to swim in turquoise waters without feeling basic. The Maldives are a luxurious retreat with plenty of water activities to partake in (like snorkeling) and sights to see by air (check out the Seaplane photo flight options). But it’s especially great for the couple that just wants to relax on their own in a gorgeous and secluded beach villa!
5. Budapest, Hungary: Budapest is a city with a fascinating history, much of which can be seen while simply walking through town. The architecture is amazing, the food and drink abundant, and there is an air of romance throughout the city as you take in the stunning views. This one’s for those who love taking in history in all its glory.
6. The Seychelles: Located in the Indian Ocean just off the coast of Southeast Africa, the Seychelles islands are nothing short of perfection. You can have it all here — relax and play in the crystal blue waters or take a walk through the jungle and hike the coast. This is the perfect getaway for newlyweds who want an elevated exotic beach destination!
7. Madagascar: If you are wanting to explore nature and the great outdoors, then Madagascar may be the perfect honeymoon spot for you. You must have an adventurous heart to go here because this island will require you to do some off-road driving. But once you get there, you can witness stunning wildlife in both the jungle and the desert. Plus, relax on Madagascar’s beautiful sandy beaches, go snorkeling, observe some underwater ruins or even go whale watching. This will surely be a vacation you’ll never forget.
8. Sri Lanka: Sri Lanka is one of the most awe-inspiring places in the world and simply put, has it all. With over 2,000 years of history, you can explore ancient temples and ruins, hike the mountainous terrain (complete with waterfalls), check out the incredible wildlife, visit tea plantations or lay on white sandy beaches. There’s also a lot of great food in Sri Lanka, so if you and your partner are foodies, this might just be the place for you to get away from it all.
9. Machu Picchu, Peru: Sure, you’ve seen photos of Machu Picchu on Facebook, but until you see it with your own eyes you won’t really be able to understand just how amazing this place is. Built during the 15th century of the Incan Empire, you can still visit the Incan temples and ruins and get totally lost in the ancient architecture and history. This historical sanctuary was built atop the Andes mountains, and yes, it’s normal to feel completely awed while you’re there and hiking the Incan trails.
10. Arashimaya Bamboo Forest, Japan: This is a place for the honeymooners who want a YOLO type of experience. Located just outside of Kyoto, Arashimaya Bamboo Forest is one of the most breathtaking natural sites, not only in Japan, but in the world. As soon as walk into the forest, you’ll immediately feel like you’ve been transported to another time. You can also visit beautiful Buddhist temples and shrines, go to the monkey park, and enjoy delicious Japanese cuisine.