The Ultimate Valentine’s Day Date Guide
Loverlies, if you haven’t started thinking about Valentine’s day, NOW is the time. Whether you’ve been with your partner for a few months or a few years, you should definitely be trying to celebrate this day to its fullest. Sure, you might tell your partner how much you love him or her every day, but Valentine’s Day is a day to REALLY show how much you care. If you’re feeling stuck and can’t come up with a creative date idea, here are 9 creative options to consider for February 14th.
1. Reserve a table for two. There’s a reason that dining out is the classic choice for Valentine’s Day; who doesn’t love a night out on the town? Think of your partner’s favorite restaurant and book a table STAT. If you’re not willing to face the crowds (and the associated V-Day price tags), stay in and cook up a storm together instead! A delicious meal and a bottle of wine never hurt anyone.
2. Sign up for a cooking class. If you’re not feeling brave enough to cook dinner unsupervised, find a local culinary school that offers one-off classes. A lot of places offer special romantic options for Valentine’s, and for some reason, they put a heavy focus on those tasty aphrodisiacs. Sounds like a win-win to us.
3. Paint & Wine. You know you’ve been DYING to get in on the wine-and-paint-night trend. Well, now’s your chance! Grab a bottle of your favorite vino, pick up a paintbrush, and let your inhibitions go. No one’s expecting you to be Picasso (especially after a few glasses), but try to enjoy the experience with your partner. You never know…one of you may discover a hidden talent!
4. Hit the spa. It’s the middle of winter and you’re probably in the midst of planning your wedding. So what could be better than a trip to the spa? Sign up for a couple’s massage, and let all that stress just melt away. You’ll leave feeling rejuvenated, relaxed, and ready to spend the rest of the day snuggled up on the couch. Order in some dinner from your favorite local joint and pick a movie (or two) to watch.
5. Have a picnic at home. Do you and your partner loooove to picnic in the park during the warmer weather? Well, bring the outdoors in with an at-home picnic! Spread a blanket on your bed, over the couch or even right on the floor, and put out a nice spread of fancy breads, cheeses, fruits, and wine (obvs). Light some candles and put on some slow jams to really take things up a notch.
6. Trade sweet nothings. Leave your partner a little love note explaining all the ways you love him or her. Those sweet nothings are oh-so-romantic when put down in writing. Also make a promise — to take over a task (whether it’s a daily chore your partner loathes or a wedding-related item that’s proven to be burdensome), to give him that foot massage he’s been begging for or to make her your famous chocolate chip cooks that she LOVES. Everyone likes to be taken care of from time to time, so make the effort on this day o’ love!
7. Take a dance class. If you and your partner both have two left feet, take a risk and sign up to learn how to dance like MJ. Challenging yourself can really get you in the mood, not to mention all the moving and grooving you’ll be doing together. And even if you leave the class worse than when you started, you’ll have spent the evening laughing together! End the night commiserating (and laughing at yourselves) over drinks.
8. Go see a live band. Whether it’s a well-known jazz group, a random blues guitarist taking the stage at a local bar or your absolute favorite band, there’s nothing quite as romantic as live music. Sing softly into your beloved’s ear and get ready to dance the night away.
9. Recreate your first date. Take a stroll down memory lane by visiting the places where it all began. Surprise your partner with train or plane tickets back to your alma matter to have dinner at the place you had your first date. Stop on the corner where you shared your first kiss. Walk by the dorm where you dropped him or her off at the end of the night. Even if you have to fly somewhere to be able to recreate those memories, it will be totally worth it (Hey, V-Day is on a Saturday this year, so no excuses). And no matter how far you have to travel, hand-holding is strongly recommended!
Get in the Valentine’s Day spirit by browsing these sweet wedding photos on Lover.ly!