15 Summer Date Ideas You Haven’t Tried Yet
Summer is in full swing, so it’s time to get outside and celebrate. Grab your spouse, fiancée, girlfriend, boyfriend, or summer fling and enjoy the gorgeous weather with a fabulous summer date. Read on for 15 summer date ideas that are perfect for the hot weather.
1. Take a mixology course. Then sip on the fruits of your labor over a backyard barbecue. There are one-day mixology classes popping up all over the country, but if you can’t find one in your area, pick out a few DIY cocktail recipes and have a private lesson at home.
2. Surprise your significant other with a weekday picnic. Don’t forget dessert! There’s nothing lovelier than a picnic with your sweetheart in the middle of a stressful workday. If you have the day off or it’s a slow afternoon, grab some snacks, a tub of ice cream and two spoons, and make someone’s day.
3. Go wine tasting. This is a classic summer date. It combines so many things we love: sunshine, picnicking and, of course, wine! Pack your own baguettes and cheese for a beautiful day of sipping and snacking.
4. Have an adults-only day at the water park. Got kids? Leave ’em with the grandparents for an afternoon and enjoy a grown-up day of water slides and smooches in the wave pool. Don’t forget to hold hands down the lazy river.
6. Learn to cook something new, then dine al fresco in your backyard. Take a cooking class, discover a new recipe online, or learn to make a new dish from a friend and then put your culinary skills to work. Set up a beautiful table or picnic blanket in your backyard or at a nearby park, and dine under the stars on a warm summer evening.
7. Take a stay-cation at a hotel with a rooftop pool. There’s nothing more romantic than cooling off under the stars with the one you love. Book a room in a swanky downtown hotel for the night and enjoy all the amenities it has to offer.
8. Catch a Shakespeare in the Park performance. Or hit any other outdoor theatre in your city. It’s a nice break from the usual movie or TV routine, and who among us couldn’t use a little cultural enrichment?
9. Hit the drive-in (and make out in the back seat). Pack snacks and stash a bottle of wine for a late-night flick at the drive-in. Rediscover your teenage fever and enjoy a romp in the backseat.
10. Go hiking and catch a romantic sunset. Plan to hike in the late afternoon so you can take a break at the end of your adventure. Then hike back as the sun sets (just be sure you’re finished before dark).
11. Check out a baseball game and have beer and hot dogs. Even if you’re not a baseball fan, it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of the game and find yourself cheering for the home team. Hit up a thrift store before the game to grab cheap hats or t-shirts, too.
12. Shop yard sales and redecorate a room in your house. Does your bedroom, bathroom, or living room need a facelift? Browse yard sale listings on Craigslist and then plot out your route. You may find that a new set of curtains or some couch cushions is all you need to bring your room back to life.
13. Try a new water sport. If you’ve never tried kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, canoeing or paddle tennis, surprise your S.O. with a beach date and a fun new activity. You may discover a new hot weather hobby you both love!
14. Check out the county fair. This one’s a no-brainer in the hot weather months. Cotton candy, ferris wheels, and summer love? There’s nothing better.
15. Take a day trip out of town. Research shows that a change of scenery or a new experience can breathe life into a relationship. Learn something new about your partner, and add a little spice to your love life by taking a day or overnight trip to somewhere just outside your hometown.
—By Stephanie Hallett
Planning a wedding? Get the step-by-step wedding planning guide.