The Dos and Don’ts of Meeting Your Partner’s Parents
Let’s face it, meeting a new boyfriend or girlfriend’s parents is never easy…
To avoid a totally embarrassing OMG moment with your partner’s parents, follow these simple dos and dont’s for your first meeting.
Meeting the Parents: Do’s and Don’ts
1. Do choose a comfortable meeting spot. Whether you choose to meet at a restaurant your sweetie’s parents have invited you to their home, make sure you’re comfortable with the location.
2. Don’t wear something scandalous. Of course, you should dress in your personal style, but it’s always best to wear something simple and safe.
3. Do greet them politely. Shake hands or go straight for the hug. First impressions are important, so make sure you’re confident and friendly when greeting them.
4. Don’t avoid eye contact. Avoiding eye contact will make you seem nervous and flighty, so look them both in the eyes.
5. Do make conversation. Be yourself, ask question, and give thoughtful answers. Enjoy the conversations and let the parents get to know you better.
6. Don’t address anything uncomfortable. If they ask you or your partner something totally inappropriate, it’s okay not to answer. Likewise, don’t ask them something that you know is a touchy subject.
7. Do remember to breathe. Seriously, relax.
8. Don’t go too crazy on the PDA. While it’s okay to hold hands or give a quick peck on the lips, it’s best if you and your partner refrain from PDA around loved ones.
9. Do be honest. This is a chance for them to get to know you better. Be true to yourself and they’re sure to like you as much as your S.O. does.
10. Don’t forget to thank them. Before leaving, thank your better half’s parents for the meal (if you had one) and for taking the time to meet with you.
Want more solid relationship advice?