The bride isn't the only one who’s nervous about how she looks on her wedding day...mothers of the bride and mothers of the groom also have wedding day jitters! While it's absolutely your day, keep in mind that weddings aren’t just about the bride and groom -- they’re a public display of the values and tastes of your entire family. Your family might be feeling some pressure from their friends and family members just as you are. If your mom has pre-wedding anxiety, here are some tips for helping her look and feel her best.
1. Don’t let your mom wait until a few weeks before the wedding to select her rehearsal dinner dress and her wedding day dress; she may want time to have her outfit fitted and altered.
2. Your mom can start a beauty routine about 4-6 months prior to the wedding. You may even want to work together on a beauty routine for the wedding day as a way to spend quality mother/daughter time.
3. Don’t wait until the last minute to talk to your mom about her hair style or accessories for the wedding day. Just as the bride and bridesmaids plan their looks well in advance, so should moms. Having all the details figured out will help her relax.
4. Your mom may want a little help from the gifted hands of a professional makeup artist. Most makeup artists now offer packages that include the bride, her attendants, and the moms, so ask your mom if she's interested before you book.
5. Find a way to help your mom relax in the days leading up to your wedding. Encourage her to book a massage or spa day, take a yoga class, or just go for a walk. (You may want to do this together for some bonding time as well!)
Ultimately, it's not your job to keep your mom calm, but showing a little empathy and understanding if she's starting to stress can go a long way toward making your wedding day that much better for you and your family.
Erica, Modern Wedding Mom