Jennie Fresa and her award winning bridal team offer professional makeup, skincare, and hair styling services in-boutique and on-location to brides from New York City to Boston. Jennie's 15 years of experience as a professional makeup artist & aesthetician, combined with her always on-trend bridal beauty creations & tips, are the reasons why we chose her as one of Lover.ly's first Featured Experts.
Everyone already knows that good makeup starts with good skin. As an aesthetician and makeup artist, I have the opportunity to work closely with all of my brides to ensure they are glowing on the big day. For best results, I suggest getting a professional and home skin care regime in place at least 6 months prior to your event. Here's what I recommend.
2. Stay on top of at-home maintenance. Be sure to cleanse, tone, and hydrate your skin on a daily basis, both morning and night. And a nourishing eye cream is a must! A weekly exfoliant will help to remove dead skin cells, allowing makeup to go on smoothly and evenly. But don't be overzealous -- don't try any new products or services within the final month leading up to your wedding date.
3. Drink carrot juice. While it's very important to drink plenty of H2O, a daily glass of carrot juice also has many skin benefits. Vitamin C aids in collagen production, and Vitamin A, a beta-carotene also found in carrots, is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect skin from sun damage. Carrot juice can even reduce the redness of blemishes. (Apply it topically to see the effect!)
4. Break a sweat. There is no better way to detoxify the skin than with a good workout. That's right, beauties, you can kill two birds with one stone with a hot yoga class or gym date. Sweating, along with your increased heart rate, will promote blood circulation, which gives you a natural glow.
5. Don't miss your kisser. No one wants to pucker up to dry, chapped lips! Use a gentle lip scrub or dry toothbrush to remove flaky, dead skin. Keep a hydrating lip balm next to your bed and apply nightly before sleep. (I la-la-love Sara Happ Lip Scrubs & Lip Slip! You'll wonder how you ever lived without it.) This step goes hand in hand with teeth whitening. Try an at-home whitening kit for extra sparkle before the big day.
6. Don't pick. Oh, I can't stress this enough! Planning a wedding can be stressful, and stress causes breakouts. If you find yourself with a red bump or two (heaven forbid!) before or on your wedding day, leave it alone. From a makeup artist's perspective, I can tell you that it's much easier to conceal a red bump than a scab. Instead of picking, try a drying treatment like Indie Lee Blemish Lotion or a dab of tea tree oil. If constant breakouts are a concern, see a dermatologist.
Ready to start your new regimen? Shop great skin-perfecting products below!